From our my older posts and the newest vlog (click here or check it out below if you still haven’t), you should know my husband has quite weird taste and likes things that a lot of people don’t pay attention to or dislike.
If you call my husband ‘nerd’, I won’t argue. He was, he is and he will always be nerdy. Or ‘otaku’ as he likes to call himself. I know in Japan the term ‘otaku’ is very negative and it’s used for people with obsessive interests. The term is widely used in Hong Kong and Sing considers himself as ‘one of them‘. Or you can call him ‘Those Chances Don’t Belong To Me Guy’. Hongkongers know what I mean.
He is literally the only man I know that knows most of AKB48’s dance moves (and his legs are so smooth he could join them if he really wanted to). He has a whole shelf full of girly manga. He is one of those people who will randomly browser Wikipedia and get from actress from a video game to on how Honório Hermeto Carneiro Leão, Marquis of Paraná, became the de facto first prime minister of the Empire of Brazil. Everyday is a ‘random fact day’ from what he read the previous night. Very good student, always knows everything (yet, I’m still the one who’s always right).
Girls didn’t want to date him (he claims it’s because of his ‘nerdyness’ but if you have seen his middle school photo you would know what was the real reason). Some of them even openly told him ‘You’re too nerdy, you shouldn’t even ask a girl out’.
That was many years ago. In meantime we had ‘The Big Bang Theory’ (Sing is actually mix of Raj and Howard – always horny and talking to friends about girls, but too shy to actually make a move), lots of Marvel movies and this is probably the best time, so far, to be a geek.
I was considered a nerd, as well. For many years because of the bullying I felt being ‘nerdy’ is something bad. Even when I was already a teenager I still could think of it only as a negative thing. Then I found Sing and I realized ‘nerd’ can equal ‘super awesome kick ass person’.
This is why I think we should always give a chance to that ‘nerdy guy’ because he might turn out to be a wonderful person who can give you more than you expect!
Check my reasons why you should at least give the nerd a chance:
- It’s not really ‘nerdy’ but definitely ‘otaku’ – Sing is huge fan of Chelsea. He’s their fan for many, many years. For good and for bad. He knows everything about anything that is even slightly connected to Chelsea. I bet he even knows what shoe size each of the players were. Now think about this – if he still watches every single game of Chelsea, doesn’t matter how crappy they were (sorry Hubby, but this season they are like a pornstar, they either suck or get f…) he still stands proudly with them. For good and for bad. At least I can be sure he won’t give up on me either.
- Another of his ‘otaku obsessions’ – old stuff. Whenever we think of Momzilla’s home – Shanghai – we will think of The Bund. I will look on those modern buildings while Sing will look on the other side. That gives me hope that when I get old and wrinkled, he will love me even more.
- Smart is the new sexy. Sing is an engineer, we work together so I always get so proud whenever people ask him for help and everyone always says ‘Sing is so smart, he knows everything’. He can recognize the order number just by looking at the screw. If he only used his brain at home, he probably wouldn’t leave the bed since he’s like 15983749853 times sexier when he talks smart.
- Nerds are usually much more detail oriented and curious. I keep telling Sing that ‘I did my research last night when you slept’ is not really a good foreplay, but I have to admit that pays off. I can’t believe I actually wrote it. He forced me.
- Lame jokes and bad puns are the funniest. At least for me. I often just hide my head because I don’t know if I should laugh or I should be embarrassed. Then I see that cute little smile that laughs from his own joke and I laugh as well. I think to most of the people I’m funnier, but Sing and I have pretty much similar sense of humor. I like to make him laugh and I like it when he makes me laugh.
- There’s always something to talk about. I know it all depends on a person, but my husband can handle conversation with anyone about anything. Unless the other person has boobs. But other than that he can always entertain me, business partners, bosses, friends. He knows all the current affair, major news. He reads a lot. How can you be bored with such a person?!
- You have higher chances of being treated seriously. I noticed my friends (and myself) who are known as ‘geeky’ or ‘otaku’ are more likely to keep their relationship stable and are more committed to the partner. Maybe it’s fear of being ‘forever alone’ or maybe that’s just the way of being, who knows. However, at least from my experience, people are less over-dramatic and try to keep the relationship.
- They probably won’t judge YOUR obsession. I love Gudetama, I love Rilakkuma, I love very old anime. Sit next to me, watch it and deal with it. Oh, and get me ANOTHER Sailor Moon phone cover because it’s cute.
- They know how to fix things. Saving money, saving time. And how many AVs you’ve seen starting from ‘My washing machine broke’? If he only knew physics of loading the dish washer Sing would be a perfect guy.
- They will take care of everything. I can leave all the travel planning to Sing and we will have plan A, B, C and just in case plan D. He will have everything sorted out. Even now, when we don’t have a baby yet, he already went to stores to look up prices of diapers, look at different strollers, checked the baby mattresses. No need to worry about planning ever again.
- Every nerdy guy I’ve met is lovely, nice, funny and smart. All of them were gentlemen, all could make me laugh. Looks can be fixed, sometimes Sing and I look like crap and sometimes we have our ‘We-Look-Hot-Let’s-Do-Bazillion-Selfies-day’. Hairstyle and clothes can be changed. Weight can be lost. But it’s hard to change your character. I think that says it all.
Have you ever dated a ‘nerd’? Or maybe that how you would describe yourself? What do you think about this term?
Let us know your opinion, we love to read your comments!