It’s been more than 2 years since the infamous ’14 slap incident’ happened in Hong Kong. At that time I wrote a post: 公主病 – on princess syndrome and tough relationships (click here to check it out!).
I personally don’t believe that it’s ‘Asian thing’ but the term is widely use in Hong Kong, China and Korea. I don’t know if I already told you the story about a ‘sushi girl’ I knew, who threw away a whole big box of sushi, that is quite expensive in Poland because ‘she didn’t like the taste‘.
The thing is, I know there are girls like that everywhere. And I wouldn’t call them princesses, more like egocentric beaches (mistake made on purpose). I think the reason why the term is used more in Asia and not in Western countries is the fact that guys won’t post stupid crap their partner throw at them and they are more likely to deal with the problems within relationship and not post it online.
Sing is a drama queen and probably reads all the love/relationship sections and he always asks me ‘Do you agree?’ or ‘What would you do?’. So when he came across the article that includes the 50 characteristic of Princess Sickness (click here) I decided to prove him, not only I am a princess. He is a prince. And everyone of us has a little Prince(ss) in him-/herself.
- Good at calculating how much advantage they can take – said the guy who counted how much ‘proposal and wedding money’ he saved by dating a white girl instead of one of his own
- Addicted to vanity – we all have that ‘great day for a selfie – millions of selfies’
- Always need the guy to pay – but if I pay, Sing will complain he lost his face in front of the waiter
- Saying don’t like HK guys, but in fact she has problem getting a HK boyfriend – I want to see how many of you look into someone’s ID on the first date
- Saying boyfriend is a playboy but also go flirt with other guys – flirt, flirt of being nice? Luckily, we are both a bit jealous about each other, but some people don’t see the difference between being nice and flirting
- Always need the guy to let her be the first – happy wife, happy life. Deal with it. Like, for real. In this case I’m totally a princess, I won’t deny.
- Always imaging being with doctors or lawyers so look down on the boyfriend – it’s literally asking for that ‘You can be anyone you like, like doctor or lawyer’-Asian-parent-joke
- Unwanted pork chop (in HK slang that’s unattractive girl) still saying HK guys are too low class for her – I swear to you, I don’t know why people compare women to meat. First it’s the ‘expired women’ thing, now pork chop. I think it’s very mean, don’t expect a girl who you first call a pork chop to later date you. It reminds me of those guys who first will approach a girl and when she rejects him, the guy will call her names.
- Being slutty to attract guys – dress up sexy: problem, dress up in sweatpants and old sweater: you don’t take care of yourself.
- Want to look cute but behave like a 5 year old – I’m guilty of it, I love cute stuff. I just don’t add the squeaky voice.
- Act sad and fake suicide to bring someone back – we all know that one person who done that. There was a guy I just went out for coffee and later on I had his mother calling me how could I reject her boy and that he wants to die. Really, bro?
- She’s always right – I am, I really am. Over 3 years of marriage and I stopped saying that, I just give him the ‘I was right’ look.
- Love big brands but can’t tell knockoffs – guilty of that as well. Unless it’s extremely obvious I won’t tell the difference.
- Spends too much on unnecessary items – we all are. Sing buys a new phone every year, we have 3 tabs, 1 stationary PC and two laptops. But maybe he will get one more tab.
- Thinks her English is fluent but at the end it’s HK-Chinglish – Sing and his ‘I am be’. If you’re not a native speaker of course something stupid will come out of your mouth eventually. You should hear me first time saying word ‘management’
- Thinks her hair style changes all the time but she always have long fringe – disagree, it’s just guys who can’t tell the difference.
- Posts pictures on forum and refers herself as some superstar – we all show a little better face on the Internet, I guess that’s just sign of our times.
- Thinks many guys are interested in her but only retards will be attracted to her – my dad was surprised why Sing would marry me so he even asked him about temporary insanity. In your face, hubby.
- Thinks ripping guys off is something to be proud of – Sing is totally proud if he rips of bank’s fees. Does that count?
- Needs someone to treat her food, but that doesn’t include $5 street food – oh how I wish there were street snacks in Ireland …
- Only knows to pretend left wallet at home to avoid paying – it’s embarrassing for us as well, I have so many purses that sometimes I will really leave my wallet at home. You should see waiters face when I tell my own husband that I left my wallet home
- Argues for few bucks – Sing wanted to drive from Limerick to Dublin because he overpaid 50 cents for a tea.
- Like to meet guy in bars – where else you can meet people?
- Spends too much time and money on make up but isn’t noticeable – that’s what we call ‘make up – no make up’. It takes time so you think it’s our natural beauty.
- Not smart but wants the guy to know everything – I think every girl wants a guy she can look up to. I LOVE SMART GUYS.
- Doesn’t let the boyfriend to talk to other girls but talks a lot to other guys next to the boyfriend herself – double standards, works both ways.
- Proud to be a virgin and lose virginity at 12-13 – no one should be proud of that.
- Always wants to guy to do the lifting – we help you to save your face, if your friends or family see that your girl is carrying 15kg of rice and you walk like a prince then you will lose your face in front of them.
- Only reads tabloids – show me a person who doesn’t gossip
- Know nothing about current affair – impossible, unless you live on North Pole. And even there, Santa knows what’s going on.
- Doesn’t want to work, the guy can support – I think guy should have a job in case of unexpected pregnancy when a woman cannot work. Being lazy is one thing, but life is life and a hungry baby won’t understand.
- Only wants to marry a rich guy – and here is my sister-in-law dating a poor guy and it’s Sing and the family who claim that ‘He is too poor to date, if my parents don’t help who helps them when they have a baby?’. Double *ekhm* standards. First complain guys who don’t have money don’t date and when they date complain they shouldn’t be dating.
- Cocky attitude – sometimes everyone is a bit cocky
- Accuses the bf goes to prostitute, but she can accept her one night stand – cheating is disgusting, doesn’t matter who does it.
- Thinks a lot of guys chasing her – same situation as with ‘being nice’.
- Shops a lot, the guy pays – personally I would hate it.
- Needs 24hr attention when she is sick, but ignores the boyfriend when he is sick – change the genders and you have Sing and me. I can be dying and he will be like ‘Oh, poor you’ but when he’s sick I will buy half of the pharmacy’s stock to cure him.
- Wants a diamond ring for birthday gift – maybe diamond is too much, but a cooking book you got with your credit card is not a good gift either *looks at Sing*
- Wears heavy make up – didn’t I just read that there’s no difference with or without make up then now all of the sudden the NO MAKE UP is heavy?
- Always sharing imagery dating experience on forum – on the Internet I’ve seen a cat riding a dinosaur.
- Dumps other guys at her 20s, desperate to be married after 30 – it’s kinda sad that in Western countries you get married around 30s and then there’s my sister in law who gets complains to dump the boyfriend and find a newer, richer one to get married because she is ‘about to expire’. Older generation is putting this crap on both girls and the guys.
- Over 30 and loves Hello Kitty, but complains that guys are too otaku – as long as you accept my love for anything from Sanrio I’m willing to accept your nerdy stuff. Unless it’s animated boobs – you have one in reach of your hand, you don’t need those, but I need that cute little animated egg-butt. Yes, even Sing’s butt is not as nice as Gudetama’s.
- Always beats the guy but saying the guy isn’t gentleman if he beats back – violence is forbidden. If someone is violent to you, just dump their ass. I’ve seen too many people struggling in such awful relationships. IT WON’T BE BETTER. HE OR SHE WON’T CHANGE.
- The cost of gift equals to the sincerity of the person – that’s why I got cooking book twice? 😀
- Always imagines she’s the most beloved main character in a love novel – I have to admit that before I sleep I imagine myself as the cutest and the most powerful character in the anime I currently watch. I was Neo Princess Serenity and the powerful Z warrior. I have power. And I know most of you do the very same thing.
- Only goes to shopping mall, so boring – that can be boring, but in Ireland it seems the only thing you can do is either go shopping, go drink a beer in pub or see a castle. Sometimes there’s no other possibility.
- Quotes sexual equality when she needs one thing, quotes a guy should be more gentlemen when she needs another thing – I think you already know Sing has double standards, yet he agrees with the guy who originally wrote this characteristics. We should have equal rights but let’s face it – I can carry less than him, not to mention he will always say things like ‘Don’t bend, that’s our baby’s future home’. Because double standards, again.
- Says all guys are ugly and she doesn’t look at herself – if all guys are ugly then why she’s not a lesbian? I don’t really get it.
- Only wears the cheap clothes twice but expensive ones every other day – and how a man who thinks I have 4 same sweaters (they are not the same) can tell the price of my clothes? Have you seen Kanye’s collection – you look in those sweaters like very rich, hipster homeless.
- Addicted to online flirting – don’t mix it with being nice. If someone is really addicted to flirting with others and is unfaithful there’s no point in being with someone like that.
I’m not denying there are mean, bad, selfish people around the world, but I hope the good people outnumber
the bad ones and Princess Syndrome won’t be such a popular term.
I also wish you guys check how many of those points somehow apply to you and let me know if you are a Prince(ss) 🙂
Have you ever encountered one or lived with one? Or maybe you know someone like my ‘sushi girl’?
Please don’t treat this post as a reason to bash someone, but rather treat it as something funny and maybe helpful for people who are in relationship with a prince(ss), but don’t realize it or have no idea how to handle it. Let’s help each other!