Last week was really stressful for us, all the government paperwork made me so annoyed that all I want to do is write a funny and light blog post. So we chose one of our favorite topics – bad Chinese tattoos.
I’m not a big fan of tattoos, but I have nothing against them. I can even admit that when I was in my ‘rebellious’ years I even thought of getting one. I saw those cool tattoos on my favorite music players and I thought how cool it would be to have one too.
Every now and then I can see really gorgeous tattoos online and I think a lot of them can be considered as some kind of art. Sadly, some of them are not. Now when I can actually read the characters I’m glad I didn’t permanently damage my skin like people who walk with 左宗棠雞 General Tso’s chicken on their arm thinking it means courage or love. I mean, c’mon, at least pick a food that is more local, like 臭豆腐 stinky tofu.
But it’s not only food that’s been tattooed. Part of menus, bad translation, fake poems – you name it. I don’t know if I should feel sad for people who trusted the tattoo artist or just be amazed how could you make such a big step without checking it, at least online. Probably both, but at least we can laugh about it and hopefully learn from their mistakes.
So remember: don’t let anything to be tattooed on your body if you’re not sure of its meaning.
Unless you want to become ‘famous’ like that Norwegian boy who tattooed a McDonald’s receipt on his arm.
Here’s our top list of the bad Chinese tattoos with their real meaning – I know you might seen most of them but I hope some of them will be new to you! And hopefully no one you know is on this list! 😉
4. I don’t eat meat but I bite
5. A criminal that’s hiding
6. This is tattoo
8. Bitter dumb-ass (to make it more funny, the first character is upside down)
9. Coffin man (I don’t even know how to feel about it)
10. I commit all types of crimes (and getting that tattoo with this typewriter-styled font was one of them!)
11. Hand slippery (seems ironic to put it right above the butt crack)
12. Good paragraph stop power slippery (I really tried to find a better translation but it seems to be just a bunch of random signs together. Anyone has any idea?)
13. Chicken (Literally chicken. In Cantonese chicken also means a prostitute so if a woman has a tattoo like that…)
14. Hemorrhoid (not a tattoo but still made me giggle, even thought I feel sorry for this little guy)
16. Get humiliated after death (WHAT…THE…HELL?!)
17. Sweet and sour pork (at least not orange chicken)
18. Freshly made chicken fried rice (who else got hungry?)
19. Crispy and refreshing fishball soup (bet it has been done by Hong Kong artist)
21. You’re welcome (in very unfortunate place known as the tramp stamp)
22. Mad diarrhea (classic, right above the butt crack – perfect location)
23. ‘Wiggle wiggle’ or Sing doesn’t know how to describe walking worm.
24. Chicken noodle soup
25. Shit (the person really had to piss off the tattoo artist)
I guess people shouldn’t trust Google Translate that easily – you can end up with a ‘Translate Error’ restaurant (very popular chain of random restaurants with really bad VPN) or some bad tattoo.
Do you know any other funny tattoos? Or maybe something similar happened in your language? Or maybe you’ve seen bad Western tattoos on Asians? Share what you’ve got and let’s laugh together – weekend is coming! 🙂