The topic of in-laws is a big part of my blog. Mainly thanks to my long time inspiration, Momzilla and her original way of being in our lives. Probably if I forced Sing to write about my parents in a similar way it wouldn’t be as funny as when the main character is Momzilla.
My parents are literally the most boring, rainbow-farting in-laws a man can have. They are nothing like the in-laws in joke. They love Sing in that very straight-forward way, there’s no way he misread the signals. Oh wait, there is because well, Sing is Sing, my clueless husband. But every normal person wouldn’t have that problem.
So if your in-laws are as ordinary as my parents the signals should be:
- Taking your side during the argument if you’re right instead of always protecting their own child.
- Trying to solve conflict between your partner and you, the way you both are happy with the result.
- Forcing your significant over to bring you luggage full of food so you can attend to the family meal you missed.
- Tell you every time they call that they love you both.
- They respect your decisions.
- When they buy two Kinder Surprise egg.
Don’t laugh at me, but the Kinder egg thing melted my heart – my parents thought I’m still asleep when I overheard my dad asking my mom why she bought two of the eggs and she said ‘Because now we have two kids‘. That’s really heartwarming, but also since they always take his side now I know how Sing’s sister feel as the less loved one so to make myself feel better and to show who’s the Queen of our House , First of Her Name, Almosttoiletborn of House T., Queen of the Lower Silesia and the First Men, Lina of the Great Baltic Sea, Breaker of Electronics and Mugs , and Mother of Kittens, I ate the chocolate egg and left him only with a toy. That showed him. And I had a better toy.
As you can see with boring in-laws you it’s easy-peasy to tell their love. But it all get’s funny when you have a Momzilla. Like my type of Momzilla, not just any Momzilla. Because the funny thing is, if you seen her behavior you would think she’s very mean or she dislikes me, but that’s just the weird way for her to say ‘I love you’. Not literally say, she never really said it, even Sing doesn’t remember the last time she said that to him.
She used to dislike me, that’s true, but as Sing said – she would dislike any girl because no one is good enough for Little Mr. Sunshine. I know you must be confused so let me just cleared that up!
Short guide, inspired by Momzilla and WahWah, how to tell your in-laws like you (in their own weird way!)
- They always keep commenting on whatever you do. And usually it’s not ‘Great job!’-type of comment. You might think they criticize you, but in Momzilla’s mind that’s the way to improve the quality of our (or just Sing’s) life. At the beginning I was annoyed, but now I know she doesn’t do it (mainly) to make me upset but to do something in the way she think is more efficient, easier or gives more in return.
- Or they say nothing. I like WahWah because, as opposed to Momzillla, he almost never talks. And that’s his approval – if there’s no comment that means it’s good enough. Of course you won’t hear any encouragement words but it’s still better than nagging. Sorry Momzilla, WahWah wins this.
- Never tell you everything. It’s not that they don’t trust you, it’s just they don’t want you to worry. For a long time I thought I’m an outsider and that’s why Sing’s parents are not as opened to me as my parents are to him. Luckily for me, Sing is very oversharing. In any sort of information, doesn’t matter from if it’s a family gossip or details of his trip to onsen with his guy-friends. Like, really detailed details. Till now I can’t look at some of his friends.
- They are never happy with the gifts. It’s not that they don’t like them, WahWah even smiled when he got Limited Edition Euro2012 Polish vodka, but Momzilla looked like a grumpy cat. Actually maybe it’s her in make-up all over the Internet. The gifts were really well planned, but what Sing told me is ‘Mom says you shouldn’t spend so much money on this. You could get yourself something instead’. Don’t really know how to feel about it but according to Little Prince, that’s a good sign. Or they are just too polite to tell you your gifts suck.
- They show up unannounced. They just want to take care of you. Anytime. Luckily the distance between Europe (previously Northern America) and Asia is big enough to cross it out. Imagine, Momzilla whole day, everyday. Brr, I shivered.
- They are master of chaos, destroying things around them and always calling you to come and fix it. One thing is being clumsy (or being MIL from CrazyChineseFamily) and the other thing is they just want to see you more. So if their computer is breaking down 7 days a week but they still refuse to give it to the service that means they just really want to see you. Or they are too cheap and hope you graduated from Hogwarts.
So next time you think your in-laws secretly plot how to kill you, maybe what they mean is ‘We accept you, but you will be watched if you’re good enough for our Little Treasure. So be good. And no touching’.
How your partner’s parents show they like you? Or maybe how they dislike you? Share your stories! 🙂