And that’s how long your title looks like when you have no idea how to translate your brilliant title to the language you’ve been studying but still cannot master it.
Anyway, I want to keep a timeline to the trip related posts so I guess it would be perfect to start with the review of our flight with Cathay Pacific and compare it to the flight with Lufthansa in 2012.
But before I start I just have to write about how pleasurable it is to fly with Sing – it’s so nice I could even rent him out. Unless the flight is super long and he get’s the grumpy cat face until the hotel room. I guess it’s always like that while traveling with your partner, but since it’s our first long distance flight together I decided to write down about what I think is a perk of flying as a couple, or more me and him. Cannot speak for all of you.
Why everyone should have her/his own ‘Sing’ while up in the air?
- You can take 1.5 space than you usually take. Not only you can rest your upper body on him, but he won’t mind your feet flying around his face just for your comfort. Premium economy in the economy class.
- You can drink a lot and don’t feel weird asking him to move every 5 minutes because you need to use the toilet. Well, I try to stay hydrated but I also like my window seat.
- Drinks and snacks upon request but you have your father’s ‘face-genes’ and you’re too ashamed to ask? Don’t worry, send Sing – he will come back with 3 types of snacks and asking do you want instant noodles too.
- In case of turbulence he can hold your hand. On my flight back I was so scared due to really strong turbulence that lasted really long that I almost asked a guy sitting next to me to hold my hand, lucky him – he was sleeping. And yes, I did cry.
- It’s more entertaining – you don’t need to have that awkward chit-chat with a random stranger next to you or make it even more awkward by not talking for 15 straight hours. Cards, hangman, synchronized movies – it’s all yours.
- You have bigger choice of food – from 3 meals they offer pick 2 and share. Try doing this with a stranger.
- Since we talk about food – who doesn’t love dessert? With Sing by your side you get to eat TWO desserts. And trust me, there’s nothing better to calm your nerves while your ‘auntie is visiting you’, flying for 15 hours in a shaky airplane then two chocolate mousse cakes and two ice creams.
To be honest I only care about my straight way to the toilet and the desserts. Of course there are things like taking bunch of lovely pictures together or free back massage, but you would lie if you say you don’t want a double dessert.
Now I can share my feelings about Cathay Pacific and the flight itself. Sorry for a low quality pictures, but sadly I’m a really low-budget blogger and iPhone sucks when it goes to taking pictures in dark.
We had a little bit of delay at the beginning, but I cannot blame the airlines, more like people who refuse to follow the rules so the airplane crew had to waste time, although we landed on time so I was pretty happy about it, didn’t want to waste even a minute in my precious Hong Kong.
Our flight was in Boeing 777-300ER which seats are 3-3-3 and the last row is 2-3-2 so for more intimacy we took the pair of very last seats, 71K and 71H. If you can call being close to the toilet and stretching people an intimate place, but I have to say the choice was not as bad as you might think. It’s perfect for people who need to use the toilet quite often, you have more space to stretch your legs without going out of the seat, it’s close to the crew in case you need something and it didn’t smell from the restroom area. So much win! Even though the seat couldn’t go down as much as the seats in front, the difference was really small and the seats were extremely comfortable which just won my heart, especially the head-resting area.
The food was so-so, personally didn’t like my pasta much, but Sing liked his salmon and the desserts were delicious.
Alcohol is free of charge, but the amount they give is really tiny – hey, it’s still free. Snack you can pick are mini Toblerone, pretzels, dried packed fruits and cup noodles, which in the middle of the flight became very popular.
Big plus are the USB chargers for every seat, Sing even found a laptop charger between our seats and sacrificed himself to take this photo for you. The USB charger in front of you is good enough to charge both iPhone and Android phones but couldn’t charge iPad mini tab.
I like their choice of the movies that include ‘A million ways to die in the West’, ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’, ‘Maleficient’ and lots of Hong Kong movies. You could also update yourself with the newest Cantopop on the playlist or just plug your phone and listen to your own songs. And finally you can use your own earphones! In every single airline I took for a long distance flight – that includes SAS, Lufthansa and Aeroflot – I had to use those crappy ones they give, but now I finally had a choice!
Lufthansa on the other hand was on time – German perfectionism. I have to say they beat Cathay Pacific when it goes to the food, I regret I couldn’t find the old pictures, but I remember I liked their food a lot, it wasn’t as plain as Cathay’s and were served 3 times, not two times only. When it goes to the comfort of the seats or entertaining system sadly they lose, I remember I put myself to sleep with old and boring movies, but it was two years ago so they might be more updated now. Big plus of the Lufthansa flight was the fact that their airplane had seats 2-4-2 so I didn’t need to bother too many people going out.
In both flights restrooms were clean and the crew was really nice and helpful – two thumbs up for both of the airlines!
Overall I would chose Cathay Pacific once again and personally, even though Lufthansa did a good job too especially with the food, I have to say CP won this battle with the comfortable seats – I can be hungry but I hate being uncomfotable!
Is there anything you would like to add to the list? Or maybe you prefer to fly alone? What is your favorite airline? Share your traveling experience! 🙂
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube and now you can just go there by clicking the links at the top of the page or in the post! It’s the biggest upgrade for this blog in a really long time!